Living Healthy with Chronic Conditions
Developed by The Stanford Patient Education Research Center
What is the Living Healthy with Chronic Conditions Self-Management Program?
The Living Healthy with Chronic Conditions Self-Management Program is a workshop given two and a half hours, once a week, for six weeks, in community settings such as senior centers, churches, libraries and hospitals. People with different chronic health problems attend together. Workshops are facilitated by two trained leaders, one or both of whom are non-health professionals with chronic diseases themselves.
Subjects covered include:
1) techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation,
2) appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance,
3) appropriate use of medications,
4) communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals, 5) nutrition,
6) decision making, and,
7) how to evaluate new treatments.